Monday, April 19, 2021

Resilience and Patience


Last year the 30th of December I was surprised to see one of my garden plants starting to bloom. I have it there for enough time to understand that it starts to bloom between April and August. I remember having chosen it just because of its long blooming season and because the first pollinators could have soon something to eat after the long winter. 

For this reason, you can imagine my surprise when I saw it blooming in the middle of the winter. I was also worried because, although we didn’t have had yet any snow, I was sure it would have come quite soon, meaning the demise of the plant.

In fact, as I feared, after a few days the Finnish landscape turned white, and the only hope I had was that at least only those early blooms would have died out, leaving the whole plant alive ready to bloom once again at the right time.

Likewise every winter, the temperatures went far below freezing this winter, reaching -25 C. 


Every time I looked out of the window, I wondered about the well-being of those little flowers. Many times I have been tempted to dig them out from the snow and cover them with a cloth that could have protected them from the cold, but a little voice in my head told me that perhaps the snow cover could be just enough of a protection.

A few days ago, as the milder temperatures started to melt the snow cover, I thought I saw something worth my attention, and as I went to refill the bird feeder, I reached the place where the blooming flower was planted.

And I marveled…

Not only the plant survived the harsh and long winter, but under the snow cover, those flowers found a safe cocoon from where to find shelter from the cold weather. They patiently kept themselves alive, gathering the weak light filtering through the snow cover, feeding on the slowly melting ice, and counting the days to Spring.

It gave me a sense of hope and also a good lesson, about patience. Sometimes we all need to work and wait before we can harvest the fruits of what we’ve done, as nothing happens in a one-day timeframe. So the old say ‘good things come to those who wait’ isn’t so wrong after all.


P.J. Mann

Paula J. Mann lives a double life. She is a geologist by day and a novelist by night. She's best known for writing psychological thrillers and crime fiction. She also writes historical fiction and paranormal suspense. She loves traveling and shares her experiences on her blog: http://paperpenandinkwell.blogspot.com

7 comments:

  1. Great post! "good things come to those who wait" proved to be correct quite a few times in my life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, I had a similar experience when my lilacs decided to bloom one Fall, I too was worried all winter that they would be dead come Spring. Nature has a way to remind us to be patient and that everything can be overcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article. I love when things like that happen. I have one remaining cabbage plant from last summer. I looked at it the other day and it looks like it is actually growing. Can't wait to see what the results will be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mother Nature is wondrous indeed. So glad the little plant survived.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm striving to gain patience. I just want it to happen more quickly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the mysteries of Mother Nature

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tripura Board of Secondary Education (TBSE) is Responsible for Promotion and Development of Madhyamik Examination ( Standard Examination) Education in Tripura State, Tripura Board for Madhyamik Govt and Private Schools under the State government of Tripura. TBSE 10th Class Books pdf Tripura Board Conducts Madhyamik Examination Month March , TBSE Madhyamik Textbooks in Government Collages Free Distribution for Students Education Purpose, Therefore Tripura Madhyamik Textbooks include All the Subject.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Online Magazines