Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Building Believable Worlds

Rebecca Tran
Image by Comfreak on Pixabay
Creating a believable world in your book can be more challenging for some authors than others. Genre, setting, and time period have the largest influence on the world you are building. Typically, books set in the real world in modern times are the easiest to write. However, research is key if you plan to set your story in an actual city or location. You never know when a reader that lives in or has visited that city. If your details are incorrect, they will notice, and you will hear about it.

Period pieces are more forgiving depending on your genre. Most readers are not history buffs, but
Image by alan9187 on Pixabay
they probably read the genre. Again research your time period. You want to include enough historically accurate details to keep your world believable. I like to say the devil is in the details. Costuming, weapons, and the style of buildings all lend realism.

Try to use reliable sources when researching time periods. Be especially careful when researching costuming choices. Thanks to Hollywood there are many mixups out there. Wikipedia is wrong from time to time so be careful. There are other sources available from universities and historical societies. These sources tend to be more reliable.

Image by KELLEPICS on Pixabay
The hardest yet most fun world to craft is a fantasy world. The first thing you have to figure out is setting and a general time period. For example, is your world similar to earth now or is it an alien world with three moons and very little technology. Everything builds from here. This will determine costumes, building styles, weapons, and even dialogue.

When building your world, your characters may have a need to travel, and everywhere they go needs a name. Naming towns can be challenging. There are several methods to name cities, towns and even streets. Many websites offer name generators; some are better than others. I personally never cared for using them although they are fun to play with. You can reuse city names if they fit with your character naming scheme. My personal favorite is to collect street and subdivision names. Many of them fit in well with the fantasy books I write. For instance, Meadowbrook is a local street name and would make an excellent town name.  I used to keep a notebook in my purse or car at all times for ideas or good names. Now I just put them in the notes section on my phone.


I am a blogger and author of fantasy and romance novels. I have two small children a Boston Terrier and a Pitbull. I love all things sci-fi and fantasy. Comic books and anime are always welcome in my house, and Doctor Who is my favorite show.
Currently, I have 11 titles available ranging from sci-fi, fantasy, and romance. My current favorite series is my dragon shifter series: Dragons of the North and Dragons of the South 1& 2. If you would like to learn more about me or my books you can find it at these links.

14 comments:

  1. Great post! It is very important to do research. I read a novel recently that plays out in Manhattan in our time and it was very distracting that the author put famous buildings and a bridge in the wrong places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to be very careful about my timeline when my characters went to NY. The entire skyline changed around the time part of the book took place. Some of the younger readers wouldn’t notice if I was off by a year but anyone in my generation or older would have called me out big time.

      Delete
  2. I'm also a proponent of doing the research to incorporate realism, no matter how minute the detail may be. I feel we owe it to our readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve found myself researching the weirdest things from landmarks to travel times. I even once found myself researching sailing times in the 18th century.

      Delete
  3. Spot on with your comments, Rebecca. I have to draw a map of my world and add to it as my story unfolds. Without it, I would be unable to gauge distances, the lay of the land, rivers and mountains etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drew a map for my fantasy novels as well. It was the only way to remember where things were. I later had it redrawn and published it with my book.

      Delete
  4. Great article. I didn't do much world building in my YA trilogy or even my MG but in my wip's I have definitely done more research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m sure members of the group would be glad to help if you need anything Chris.

      Delete
  5. Great tips and insight into world building. I think sometimes I spend more time on world buiding than I do writing. As you say, research is key.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s definitely labor intensive and readers never realize how much effort it takes to make a believable world. I guess that’s what makes it worth while. I spent more than 30 hours researching For Their Sins and that’s just a rough guess. 3 of it was the sailing times I mentioned above. LOL

      Delete
  6. Wonderful tips to writing engaging novels!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that there is no ease on choosing a location or an era or even another world. Historical fiction is one of the most demanding in term of research, particularly when the information that are coming from different historians tend to diverge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s my least favorite thing to write and mine wasn’t truly a historical novel. Hats off to those who write the genre and do it well.

      Delete

Featured Post

Online Magazines