Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Procrastination, a bad companion

If you are a writer, but generally in every situation, you understand that when you have a schedule, this is supposed to be honored. Following a schedule is like giving your word, it is a promise you made whether with your employer, with the chores of the house with your friends but mostly with yourself.

The good old say ‘don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today’ holds a very important piece of advice and here there are a few reasons why you should follow this golden rule. The three most important of those are the followings:

1. If you keep procrastinating, you will forget about what you need to do, and you will end up with broken promises, and troubles.

2. You will accumulate so many things at the end that you won’t be able to do at the time they were due.

3. You will spend nights of sleep, trying to keep up a schedule that was perfectly feasible and became impossible.

Do you think I am exaggerating? Maybe yes and maybe not.
The problem is that I have always been the kind of person that wanted to be ahead of schedule so that I could enjoy my free time without any panic.
Becoming a writer, turned my schedules upside down, and suddenly like the transformation between Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, I have turned myself from Dr. always-organized to Ms. live-now-worry-later.
The problem is that living now to worry later means that I will be not just worried, I will be in full panic. So what is the end of this story?
Organize yourself, if you aren’t able, keep a calendar, if you think you will risk ignoring the calendar, put alarms during the whole day, but don’t risk to forget things, appointments, duties, and schedules.
I know it might sound like an obvious advice, but you will never know when it will happen that you will also turn into Mr. live-now-worry-later!
Cheers!

6 comments:

  1. I'm a stay ahead schedule person, but sometimes I bite more than I chew and I have to work harder to keep my self-made schedule. I don't like to procrastinate, what needs to be done I do it as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Procrastination can cause health problems, as things can pile up causing anxiety and all kinds of problems. A good reminder. Then there is the old saying, " I was going to write a book about procrastination, but couldn't get around to it." A great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I take my writing seriously, I don't adhere to a rigid writing schedule because I can't due to the demands of the day. Don't think I'm alone by any stretch of the imagination. I do feel guilty if I don't write everyday. Slow and steady wins the race.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too much scheduling causes stress in my opinion. I have to mark every moment I am at work, my off time I adhere firmly to the statement "What will, be will be." I did a one year writing challenge which I actually found to be extremely difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd rather be 30 minutes early than five minutes late. Putting off anything is doomed to fail in the long run. As the English poet, Edward Young said, 'procrastination is the thief of time.' Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great comments, here but do you want to know the reason why I have written this post? I do not feel guity with writing 3000 1000 500 or 0 words a day. I do write when I feel I have something to write, not because I have to. The problem is when I accumulate too many things just like Erika said, and of course, when I shift one task from today to tomorrow it happens that the day after my schedule become so crammed at work that I forget about everything else. Now, it was the evening (or night if you prefer) of the 11th of March, I was going to sleep, when suddenly a voice yelled inside my head: "THE BLOG!!"
    I jumped from the bed and flashed myself back to the computer and the idea of writing about procrastination seemed to be the best ever. Mostly it sounds like a 'note to self'
    This is the first time that I am happy to live in another time zone, because those few hors of difference literally saved my day (or in this case, night)

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Online Magazines