Friday, February 2, 2018

Welcome to Thalacia #OurAuthorGang

Rich Feitelberg

My next series of posts will focus various aspects of my fantasy world. As you may know from my previous posts, my fantasy novels are set in the kingdom of Thalacia. From the northern edge to the southern tip, the distance is about the same as from the equator up to Maine.

The kingdom is full of many races, government, places, religions, and magic. This series of posts will explore these. To start, let’s look at the magic in the world.

I’ve struggled for quite some time to develop a system of magic that I was happy with. This is partly because I’ve studied so many forms of magic in building the world. Some of those forms I described in my series of posts on magic.

I finally settled on the 12 Spheres of Magic. These are 12 unique aspects of the world that control all magic. I chose 12 because it is divisible by 2, 3, and 4 all of which number have magical significance.

To make magic work, a wizard must study in one or more of these spheres and must know the verbs that direct magical energy. For example to create a fire, the wizard must know the verb create and must know something about the sphere of fire.

It gets more interesting when you want to something else, say like control the weather. For that you need the control verb and the spheres of water, air, cold, and heat so you can make it rain or snow, create hail or a blizzard.

None of this is described in my books, of course it is just some of the background details I use as I write my novels.

Next time we’ll look at another aspect of Thalacia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Online Magazines